Friday, November 11, 2011

No Comparison


           
Comparison.

That thing that can tie us up in a bind and cause us to feel less than who He has created us to be.

That thing that causes us to shrink back, hold back and look back.

Invisible emotional and mental chains that bind us and paralyze us from walking with purpose.

It will keep us entangled.

And if we camp out in a state of comparison we dismiss who God created us to be.

We dismiss and miss all of the beautiful things in our own life.

Because when we are busy comparing, looking, measuring our own life up against someone else's
we will come up short every time.

The enemy is just waiting to whisper....you are not enough. 

And He uses the tool of comparison to convince us of this lie.





Comparison ruins moments and events. 

It ruins friendships. 

It comes to tear down and destroy.

It breeds jealousy and insecurity and competition. 

It will absolutely destroy the spirit of the living God in us if we allow it.

Comparison will talk us right out of the amazing life we've been given.

Comparison creeps into our hearts and minds and can convince us that every one else has it better. And then before we know it, we have pulled away from friendships with those whom we seem to feel  "less than" around in life.

Or worse.

We never took the time to get to know someone at all.......





On the night before the first day of school this year I sat with my 8 year old and my 6 year old.  I wanted them to know how much He loves them and how unique and special they both are.  I also wanted to encourage them not to fall into comparison with others.

So I bought a pink measuring tape for her and a ruler for him and used it to demonstrate.

I then wrote on a separate piece of paper the following scripture and attached it to the measuring tape and then also wrote the same scripture on the back of the ruler.

"That Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height - to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." Ephesians 4:17-19.

I wanted them to have a tangible reminder ....

When we know in our hearts this incredible truth the lie of comparison loses all power.

To this day they each still carry the measuring tape and ruler in their backpacks.

I want my children to know early on the misery that comes when we open that door......

Maybe because I spent the first ten years of my oldest daughter's life as a single mother comparing myself to all the married moms.

In my early twenties with a baby on my hip I used to think, once I get married......

THEN I will be happy and whole just like everyone else.

Then I will be equal. 

Then I will be accepted.

What a lie.

Happiness is a heart song.

Wholeness, contentment and security are impossible apart from Him.

Whether we are married or single....

Once I was married comparison flowed into my life in new ways.

The Lord begin to speak to my heart on many levels and teach me about contentment and acceptance.

He did not create me to be like everyone else or to "fit in" with everyone else. 

He created me to fit with Him.

He had to teach me not to resent my testimony.  (That was a hard lesson.)

He had to teach me not to compare. (Harder still.)

Our testimonies are uniquely ours and the story He is writing in each one of us is to be embraced.

It is for our good and His glory......






So this weekend while you are busy with your blessings and your beautiful life.

I want to encourage you to stop into Target.

Go to the sewing aisle and pick up one pretty, pink measuring tape.

Take a bright marker and write across it over and over again.

There is no comparison.

There is no comparison.

There is no comparison.

Keep it with you at all times so that when comparison tries to creep in, you can shut it down.

Keep it with you until this truth is so saturated into your spirit you no longer need to look at it.


Because sweet friends...........

Nothing compares to His love for you.

Nothing compares to the way He created you.

Nothing compares to what He has called you to do in this life.

Nothing compares to your purpose and destiny.

Nothing compares to the magnitude of what He has set aside just for you.

Nothing compares to the fullness of His goodness and His graciousness toward you.

Nothing compares to His mercies toward you. To the depth of His forgiveness toward you.

Nothing compares to what He has in store for you.

Nothing compares to the spouse he is going to bless you with.

Nothing compares to the babies He is is going to entrust to you.

Nothing compares to the increase, the goodness and the blessings that are yours and yours alone.

Nothing compares to the way you walk and talk and look and laugh and think and create.

There isn't anyone like you in all of the world.

You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Knit together by the Creator in pure and total perfection....

May these truths settle down deep inside your heart and take root in your life in the most amazing ways and may you be ever mindful of the width and depth and length and height of His love for you.



Thank you to my beautiful friend Ashley for taking the time to hold my own personal pink measuring tapes and allowing me to photograph her for this blog post.

No one compares to you Ashley and to the many incredible gifts He has given you....

Beautiful. Compassionate. True. Genuine. Sincere. Refined. Redeemed. Renewed and Healed are you my wonderful friend.

Thank you for your love and friendship.

Love,

Sibi


16 comments:

Charity said...

I love YOU....that is all.

Cha Cha

Okay so that is not all, there is no other person God uses so frequently to speak into my life. You are my blessing, You are my wonderful friend, You are His beautiful, perfect, loved daughter. Thank you for walking the path to here to bring this message today to me and anyone else who needed to hear it. I do love you.

Aunt Teresa said...

Another great post, as always, Sibi! Someday we'll meet in Heaven along with J. :) It makes my heart so glad to think of seeing our Lord, my parents and other family who are already there waiting as well as "Internet friends" I've made. God bless you, dear one. {Hugs}

The 5 Bickies said...

Beautiful and so thoughtful.
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I needed this today. Thank you:)

Michele said...

And nothing compares to YOU :) I am absolutely drawn to each and every one of your posts. I pray that one day we can have a girls weekend together or maybe you'll have another Pearl Event. I love how you are able to so easily and clearly articulate so many topics. And each and every one of your posts speaks to me. You are a blessing to me Sibi. I am so blessed that His plan has brought you into my life. Blessings and love to you and your wonderful family.

Michele

Maggie said...

LOVE this post. Thank you!

sle said...

You wrote this for me. I'm going to target to buy a pink tape measure. Thank you. Love you!

Forever 31 said...

That totally hit home with me! God bless you and your ministry.

Tiffany said...

love love love this - thank you for this blessing and reminder of who i am and how He loves me!

you are such a blessing to me!

xoTiffany

Nancy said...

Life changing post sweet friend! This on has to go in the book :)

Love Being A Nonny said...

Oh my. Well said and so encouraging to me. Your posts are some of my very favorite....and I love how you love babies:)

lizziefitz said...

Thank you!

Jill said...

Beautiful words... beautiful reminder...of a more-than-beautiful truth!
Thank you!
Many Blessings,
Jill
p.s. hope you don't mind I have added a link on my blog to this post- just think it's to beautiful to not share :)

Renae Moore said...

Beautiful...and so true. Wonderful words of encouragement.

Blessings...

Hoots Momma said...

Sibi, your words are beautiful and so needed. I know you have touched the hearts of women from every walk of life. I soooo needed these words of encouragement tonight. We can sure get in a funk when we compare look back, sink back hold back... you are a blessing in my life and we've never met.
Thank you. SAL

Ramblings said...

THANK YOU for blessing me today. These were just the words my heart needed. I have been struggling with this very issue so much lately. This is a post I will re-read often and pass along to many. Thank you.